Monday, June 21, 2004

Did I finish in time?

NO!!!

Well, this is the second top that I've attempted from Burda Plus magazine. Based on my chest measurement, I should be a 46. But they aren't fitting me. I just learned one potential problem: Burda, of all the major pattern makers, allows for the most curvature in the upper back. I'm very erect, so that excess fabric may be part of my problem. Burda, also, has the smallest sleever, and I know that's part of the problem. But the tops have been too big in the shoulders, in both cases. And, now that I think about it, the last time I made a Burda pattern from an envelope, it was too big in the shoulders; I went down a size on subsequent versions.

The good part of this is that size 44 is the top of the range of regular patterns which would make many more styles available to me. The bad part of this is that the top I was making for the wedding was an unmitigated disaster. I think there was more wrong with it than just the fit in the shoulders. Can you say matronly? I've got to remember to choose patterns that have a lot of waist shaping. When I don't, all of that extra fabric that I add for my bust stays in the pattern, and I look terrible.

So I ripped it apart, and recut the pieces for Burda 8665. Did that go happily together? NO!!! I was flying along, until I sewed the facings to the wrong side of the fronts. ARGH!


My brother is moving to NZ because he accepted a tenured position at the University of Wellington. I believe they offered his wife a job as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home