Sunday, February 01, 2004

Simplicity 7071: I decided to take a break from fitting my straight skirt. This pattern held some surprises for me. I hadn't used a "Sewing for Dummies" pattern before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The pattern comes in 3 sizes. Each size is separate, which is nice because I don't have to trace the pattern to make clothes for DD's size small and size medium dolls. If I like the pattern, I may trace it. I may just use freezer paper to strengthen the tissue. I decided to start with a pair of overalls, using the scraps from my straight skirt. The pants are one seam pants which are easier to sew, but they require larger scraps than pants with a side seam would. The bodice for the overalls is one piece. I found that annoying and cut the piece up at the shoulder and center front, adding a seam allowance at the shoulder on both pieces. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but IMO doll clothing should come from scraps, not yardage. The one piece bodice required a large piece and would have left quite a bit of scrap material behind. Cutting it made it much more manageable. So, I have the pants, bodice front, and bodice backs cut and ready to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home