Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Style Book

I started a new style book for me. I had been cutting things out and putting them in a spiral bound notebook. I would paste as much as I could on one page and on the back. I thought I was being frugal. But I ended up with a jumbled mishmash of things, some of which I don't care for any more.

When the last Cold Water Creek (CWC) catalog came in, I decided it was time for a new notebook. This time, I started a 3-ring binder. Instead of pasting as much as I could on one page and it's back, I only used the front of the page. Usually, I pasted one item on a page, but sometimes if the two images were very similar, I might paste 2. I wrote notes on the page on why I liked something, if I like the color, does it fit in my SWAP colors, style comments, and anything else that comes to mind.

I had a few things pinned to bulliten board that I put in the notebook, but most of the stuff came from CWC. I really like their stuff. I consider it casual, slightly funky, business attire for the most part. They have some party or formal stuff, but parties these days seem to invovle chasing 4 year olds around playground equipment. They also have casual non-business clothes that I would wear to work, too. After gathering together the images I had cut out of the CWC catalog, I noticed that CWC uses the same pattern over and over and over again; at least, in the things I like there is this repetition.. From the stand point of a sewist, this is a very smart thing to do.

I also noticed that the style of the jackets were not quite suited to me. They aren't fitted enough, and they are too long. I don't want a fitted jacket, but I need darts. Without shaping around the gigantic ones, I look like I'm wearing a sack. Midhip jackets are the worst on me. I need them to hit me above the butt, since mine protrudes, or way past the butt, like midthigh. It's not a matter of it being big enough either. Jackets get hung up on the butt which is unflattering, but also having that line right across the big butt isn't flattering either.


I sewed a couple of darts on the monkey costume head.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CWC has an attractive catalog but I have returned everything I ordered because I didn't like the quality. The catalog photos make things look so much better than they really are. Their retail stores do not carry any larger sizes.Kinda disappointing not to be able to see things before purchasing.

I like your sense of humor and always read your posts on pattern review.

Catherine Nord cnord@cruzio.com

9/21/2004 01:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home