Thursday, July 08, 2004

Fitting Issues

I hate it when books call a deviation from the "ideal" figure a flaw. It be one thing if they said I had bad posture (I don't) or I was fat (I am). If I believed in God, I'd say that all our bodies are the way God made us to be. But the connotation of the word flaw is terrible for women. These books are supposed to be helping us sew and feel good about our sewing and feel good about ourselves. When they start out a discussion of fitting with the word flaw, the book is telling us that there is something wrong with our bodies that makes it substandard or a "second". It's a put down, and it pisses me off.

I sewed the back darts on Goosey Girl's raglan top. Slow progress.

I did some more work on fitting Simplicity 5098. I used Burda 8665 as a fitting shell. The front of the new top may be too big. The back is smaller, so I'm going to add an inch at the sideseams of the back. Fortunately the cap sleeve is a rectangle, so it's very easy to make it an inch bigger. I may not need the room in back, but it's better to have too much and take it in than not have enough.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our bodies aren't flawed. Patterns are flawed.
-Gillian

7/08/2004 04:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home