Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Rant on Sexism

Some things really piss me off. The media response to the whole Justin Timberlake/Janet Jackson/Superbowl/exposed boob thing is one of them. They NEVER talk about how the act was choreographed to look like Justin Timberlake was sexually assaulting Janet Jackson. In fact, they almost never even mention Justin Timberlake. It's all about Janet Jackson. And while I don't think she was a victim in this case, she certainly wasn't alone in culpability.

The core issue that disturbs me is that the act appeared to be a sexual assault and the media focus is on Ms. Jackson alone. What Justin Timberlake did was wrong. He set the example that it is okay to sexually assault a woman on national tv. It didn't look choreographed. That should be where the focus is. What is the message that we are sending to our children and community when we focus on Jackson? I'll tell you what I think it is.

Men don't have to be responsible for their actions.

Women are the ones who are responsible for men's violent sexual behavior.

Pisses me off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home