Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Serial Ports

So I have a Bernina Artista 180E, and I'm having a terrible time transfering my embroidery designs from my computer to the 180E. There are 2 options: serial cable or cards. I wanted to use a card system, so I bought the Amazing Mini Box. It worked fine for a while, then stopped working. I've tried everything they have suggested, and nothing has fixed it. Since I've been having problems, I've learned that a lot of people have problems with it. So I ordered a Bernina card reader/writer. They are on back order, and it's been several months.

I could use my desktop computer. That's were the vast majority my designs are, but that would mean moving the very, very heavy 180E from one end of the house to the other. I don't really have any place to put it near the computer, but the desktop does have a serial port.

I'm taking a class on the embroidery software, and you pretty much need a laptop. I've been borrowing one or looking over someone's shoulder, so after 3 months of this, I decided to buy a laptop. The laptop doesn't have a serial port. I didn't even think of specifying one. So I can't connect the laptop to the 180E. Radio Shack has USB to serial converters, so maybe someday, I'll be able to connect the laptop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home