Thursday, August 12, 2004

Too Hot to Sew

And I'm too tired to read about sewing. I fell into bed last night at 9:30. Boobla slept much better last night, so I got a pretty good night's sleep. He woke up at 6:30, but he wasn't ready to get out of bed. We were able to cuddle for a few minutes.

But I'm thinking about sewing. I like the idea of wardrobe capsules. On Sewing World, we had a contest designed around this idea call SWAP or Sewing With A Plan. I'm more in need of Sewing With A Clue, but SWAP is an ideal to which I aspire. I have lots of prints in my stash that I really like, but I don't have many solids. SWAP helped me to define navy as my primary color. I still haven't figured anything else out from SWAP, but at least it's a start.

Another aspect to the wardrobe capsule is the idea of a travel wardrobe. I don't travel much. For business, it's overnight trips, so that really isn't a problem. For vacation, I need a childproof wardrobe for Lake Winnepesake, NH, very, very casual. But I read about these travel wardrobes, where you can wear several items together, mix & match, and where you have reversible garments. Am I the only one for whom this concept doesn't work?

First off, I have never been able to wear shirts or pants twice. A reversible garment gives me nothing over a non-reversible garment. And I wonder how this really makes things easier to pack. I mean, if a reversible garment has one inside the other, it's still twice as thick as a regular garment to pack. And since I'd only be able to wear it once before washing, even without the kids' contributions, I find the reversible garment a detriment.


Please, check the Amber Alert. It's 2 postings below this one.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neefer - I agree with you...reversible garments as a way of extending the weartime of a wardrobe don't work for me either...if anything, the sole advantage would be being able to hide my spilled lunch stains!

While I can wear slacks more than once before laundering, if I had two layers of fabric, I don't think I'd be able to - wouldn't that be hot? And therefore sweaty? Maybe in georgette or something, but that wouldn't suit work travel!

8/17/2004 09:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Neefer! It's your PR buddy Katharine. "SWAC": ROTFLMAO!!! Me too. The "Plan" part of SWAP made it so intimidating. But without a plan I've been sewing things that match this summer--weird, eh? I buy/sew if it matches two other items.
I'm an aspiring member of SABLE, but don't have enough stash at this time to join. Give me some more time sewing, and fewer international moves. It will grow like mushrooms!

8/19/2004 02:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home