Monday, August 16, 2004

What was I thinking?

I really like Kwik Sew 2565 with a full bust alteration (FBA) and bigger sleeves. A scoop or v-neck neckline would probably look better on me than the crew or jewel neckline, but right now I'm very happy with the t-shirt.

So, do I just leave it alone? No; I'm intrigued by french darts. While this alteration won't help with shaping over the breasts like the side seam dart from the FBA, I think the french dart will help to pull in some of the fabric over my upper abdomin. I made a t-shirt from Burda Plus magazine with a french dart. It didn't come out well, but the problems were numerous: too big in the shoulders, neckline had facing, neckline funneled, too long for me, and I didn't move the french dart over when I did the FBA, so it doesn't point to my breasts.

Do I give up? No. I decided to move the dart on KS 2565 to a french dart. That part was easy. Now, comes the "what was I thinking?" moment. I picked a blue 100% polyester slinky knit to make the t-shirt out of. A french dart is curved, and it's @#$%ing hard to sew it in slinky! While I was very gently picking out a badly sewn dart, I started to think that a slinky t-shirt doesn't need a dart, even on me. So that's 2 things that I label "what was I thinking?"


I'm wearing a new skirt from my favorite skirt pattern, Kwik Sew 2743. I made a top out of the same fabric as the skirt, but it was a wadder. I wanted to wear it with a top from one of my favorite top patterns, New Look 6106, in 100% cotton interlock. They do not go together, at all.

All I can think is that I must have swatched the aubergine silk jersey with the aubergine-orange-pink -fuschia-grey (YOWZA! ) print. I know that I have a knit that matches that aubergine perfectly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home