Friday, November 19, 2004

Style Class

I'm taking an on-line style class, and I haven't really been keeping up. It's a terrifically busy time of year, and adding my trying to take care of my depression and eating disorder plus my mother going in the hospital, I just don't have that much time to think about it.

What is it about women that whenever we get together to talk about style and clothing that the discussion inevitably drifts over into the judgemental condemnation of how certain other women dress? What is that? It drives me nuts. What's worse is that the ones who are doing it also comment on their good taste. What the hell? I suppose it's possible to have good taste in one area and still act in a distasteful manner in another, but over the e-mail the only evidence of taste is the typed word.

Here's my post:

    Early in the 20th century, women's skirt lengths shortened so much that their ankles were visible. This was considered indecent by many at the time. Did "they" grow out of it? No, and the rest of us grew into this style and worse: we even show off our knees. [sarcasm]Scandalous![/sarcasm]

    I find the judgemental discussion of what others are wearing to be very distasteful and culturally myopic.

Heather spanked me for denigrating other's opinions. So I had to ask if it's okay to diss how other women dress when they aren't present. I guess I'm in the minority, and I'm the only one who sees the hypocrisy. I know I can come off as being harsh. I'd say blunt, but I know that's not how the other person hears it or reads it. One aspect of my style is concise, to the point.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your bluntness. I am also often blunt without being aware of it; just can't stand gooey fatuousness.

11/23/2004 12:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home